Simply put, Ecogel is an emulsifier.
It is often used to stabilize formulations such as creams. It is a versatile ingredient as it is used as a stabilizer, emulsifier and a thickener. This ingredient is easily a formulator’s favorite.
INCI: Lysolecithin (and) Sclerotium Gum (and) Xanthan Gum (and) Pullulan
Ecogel is produced by LucasMeyer Cosmetics, and has the following properties:
- First natural gelling-emulsifying agent
- Sustainable processed
- Provides gel-cream when used as main emulsifier
- Stabilizes and increases the viscosity of emulsions
- Skin feel enhancer (Silicone-like skin feel)
- Highly compatible with electrolytes and surfactants
- Enhances penetration and bioavailability of active ingredients to get better and/or faster results
- Triggers positive emotions and provides moments of happiness upon application
- stable within a wide range of pH, from 3 to 10.
- supports high quantity of electrolytes (up to 2%).
- is compatible with surfactants. It is particularly interesting for a use in shampoos and shower gels since it increases viscosity and improves sensorial properties.
- is compatible with most preservatives and additives.
How to use Ecogel.
A typical percentage range for use is 0.5% – 2% depending on what it the formulation needs it for. The concentration of ecogel used is what determines how the formulation behaves. Click here for a guide if you are new to making your own skincare formulation.
For beginners, this ingredient might be a bit tricky to incorporate into a formulation, however it gets easy with consistent practice.
Ecogel always needs to first be hydrated. This means it should be dispersed in (hot) water phase at 600C – 700C and stirred thoroughly for 20-30 minutes. This would allow it to be complexly dispersed.
*INCI – International Nomenclature for Cosmetic Ingredients
For more information, do send us a mail and we will respond as soon as possible. Have any questions, please leave a comment below.